Wednesday, February 14

Tulips from Amsterdam

These really did come from Amsterdam. We bought them in Schiphol airport on our way back home and they are lasting well. I make it 19 days since purchase now.

Well, I've weathered the food poisoning and URTI that was the aftermath of our holiday. Somewhere during my fever, my parents flew over from Ireland and spent a couple of days with us, but I'm not very clear about that. I'm sure I made them some food to eat so they can't complain *s*

Now for a disaster story (trying hard to persuade myself it is not actually a disaster of any significance). I was so excited about going on holiday that I almost forgot to take my camera. DH reminded me as I was heading out the door, and I ran back in and grabbed it. Just the camera, mind you. No charger cable or even a spare battery. And when I turned it on in Italy it had 20mins of juice in it. Never mind, I thought I would be able to buy a charger cable.......no, not unless I wanted to buy a new camera with it. Well, I am too mean for that, especially as we have at least two cameras (one staying at home), and two adequate cameras on our phones and a nice fat memory card on my phone. So when the camera battery went flat I would just use my phone.

The phone took lovely photos the days we were on Tenerife and Madeira, but then suddenly it was gone. Dropped it I think. *big sigh*. All my photos of Loro Parque's penguinarium and performing sealions vanished. Just my memories left...

Here is the single best thing we saw on our travels - Gaudi's church La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Full of light and air and...the noise stonemasons make these days with heavy machinery. It's many years since I saw English cathedrals but this seemed on a scale much larger than I remember them.













I love these lizards!


We also saw a *lot* of Picassos. That man just didn't stop drawing! We gave up long before we were half way round the gallery, but I think I gained a little interest in his work.

Casablanca was full of smog. We could see little from the ship. It is a large city, with a population of about 3 million people, and nearly all the buildings we saw were painted white or off-white in colour. It was a dirty place, with seemingly little control on engine emissions. Here is the vast Hassan II mosque with its even more vast expanse of courtyard. We didn't go in.


Our taxi driver thought that, since we didn't seem impressed with the mosque, we might like the Roman Catholic church. I did quite like their stained glass, even though I don't generally much admire modern churches.





3 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

That sucks about the camera but the photos you did get are swell!

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

It's too bad about the camera, but the pictures you do have a are great! I love that cathedral.

Diana said...

Sorry to hear that you were ill, not so nice when you're just coming back from vacation. The pictures are amazing. I love the sun reflections on the ceiling, and there is something about those stained glass ducks (?) geese (?).