Tuesday, February 27

February sunshine



The warmth of late February sunshine always surprises. Yesterday I lingered all day in the herb garden - raking away the old leaves, cutting back and dividing. And preparing the ground for this year's sowings.




I found this sleepy fellow hiding amongst old leaves.




And this new vista.



Some people have asked what I do with driftwood. I have grand plans of a driftwood-framed mirror, and lately of a driftwood summerhouse (a girl can dream, after all!). But mostly, as you can see, it just lies around in the garden 'drying out' or 'bleaching'.

Branching pieces are good for supporting floppy herbaceous plants in the summer, and lately I have been collecting pieces to make into tripods to support climbers.
.
Mostly I just collect it because I love it's sculptural qualities.

5 comments:

Libby said...

You make me even more anxious to get started on the summer's plantings. I don't know what yet -- just that I'm ready to get started.

Ms. Jan said...

Don't you love puttering around in the herbs? I love the look of natural twigs and branches for both supporting plants and hanging quilts!

Diana said...

Thanks for the lovely pictures! We're not quite to garden-puttering weather here, but it's nice to see that spring is beginning to happen somewhere.

Bob said...

Ha ha that reminds me how I spend half my holidays looking for driftwood, Vicki likes it for arrangements and other stuff she does.

Chrissie said...

Hi. I've tagged you as one of the bloggers who makes me think :-) I hope that is ok with you! I really enjoy looking through your pics and comments, and look forward to each new post.