Thursday, December 6

MeMe

Veronica tagged me.

And I'd hoped to slip under the radar!

Let me see:

4 Jobs I Had

1. Played in a string quartet when I was at school - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and Scott Joplin and that sort of thing. We weren't terribly good, but made some pocket money (it seemed a lot to me at the time) playing at weddings and other events. My first job!

2. Strawberry picker. This was the summer I left school, in the Scottish Highlands, far from home. It was a lot of fun. Later that summer I went to Kent to help with the hop harvest and pick apples. That was fun too.

3. As a student I had a summer job for a couple of years in a hotel in the highlands. It was on the far side of a loch from the local village, and you could only really access it by motor launch. It was a small hotel; 8 rooms, and at one point I counted 12 staff! Not including the proprietors! I had various jobs - dishwashing, doing the rooms, cleaning the kitchen, serving the pre-dinner drinks. I was even entrusted with some kitchen tasks! (chopping parsley, whipping cream, stirring porridge, making toast, baking cookies and cheese biscuits if I recall). This is where I learned about what would, this year, eventually become my cooker (post to follow).

4. Hospital doctor. Less said...

Right, I've had enough of the meme! And I'm sure I'd get even more boring as I go on...

2 comments:

Little Red said...

You live in the most beautiful place I have ever seen... you're so lucky

Forgetmenot said...

little red, you are right, the countryside up here can be very beautiful. it can also be very miserable at times (when the sun is not shining...). the photo at the top of my blog is of the place we lived before we came here. it was jaw-droppingly beautiful and it almost broke my heart to leave.