Thursday, May 10

Visiting Afar

Still piecing, slowly; don't have much to show. This cross stitch bookmark for my older sister's birthday did however get finished. The kit comes from the almost-local Textile Heritage.

Yesterday I had some errands to do in Edinburgh and Glasgow. That meant an early start and a four hour drive. I had planned an intermediate stop at the quilt shop in Linlithgow, but it was closed and I ended up with some time to fill in before meeting LittleSis. The Botanical Gardens in Glasgow is a good place to while away a couple of hours...especially with all those second hand bookshops nearby...

I lived in the West End of Glasgow for many years, as a student and afterwards, and it was so nice to spend some time there again, just wandering around. It was warm and sunny, perfect "exam weather".


I tried not to think too much about little Maddy.

There was a lot to see in the gardens,

but I was focused - I have been wanting to visit the new Kibble Palace since it reopened in November. The message on the door is not easy to make out in my photo
It reads "KIBBLE PALACE erected on this site 1873 restored 2006"
Inside was all bright and clean, as it must have looked when new (until recently Glasgow was a city of heavy industry and covered in black grime).

The koi pond is still there. If you lean over the fish will come to see what's going on.
Dip a finger in, and they will 'nibble'!
The beds were freshly planted
and these curious mirrored discs hung from the ceiling. I'm not sure, maybe they are also floodlights.
Exiled in the foyer is Cain/ "...greater than I can bear" by Mullins.



while in the garden sits Eve.

At six o'clock an employee goes round the glass house and closes all the windows.

I only got half way through the first chapter of 'Cranston' before it was time to go.

Maybe I will get back again soon. I hope so.

5 comments:

UP said...

I sounds like you had a good time. I enjoyed the photos.

Wendy said...

Too bad the shop was closed but I really enjoyed the garden pictures in Glasgow. Thanks for sharing.

Chrissie said...

I really enjoyed these pics too:-)
I always love to look around new places.

Libby said...

I love a day in the gardens. Thank you for sharing your afternoon.

Rose Marie said...

Thanks for the tour of Glasgow. I didn't get to see much when I was there a few years ago, but I do have friends there as well as in Inch which is between the two main cities (sort of)