Thursday, January 11

Rainy day

I've had some ideas for how to quilt the border of my red & green starry quilt. I'm almost there - just need to finish off doing around the outside of the inner border. I'm thinking the border is going to be fairly heavily quilted, in a mostly plain style as the pattern has some embroidered text - in gold to match the stars and inner border - and I haven't quite decided whether I really want to include this embroidery or not. My initial idea was to leave out the text - especially as the pattern describes the text as a 'prayer' and I do not think it is a 'prayer'. But that aside I am warming a little to the idea now I am closer to completion.




This is the effect I envisaged when I started quilting the blocks, but I found it quite dissatisfying to sew.

Here are some other effects I tried, I think I have shown these before:




And here is what Libby suggested - it won hands down!


It is easy and satisfying to sew, and I love the way it separates the contour of the quilt from the structure of the patches.

It rained heavily last night and we heard dripping while we were watching King Kong. Couldn't find any water though. Eventually DH went into the roofspace, and sure enough the gable wall was wet. It's dripping down inside the wall. And going ...... who knows where? That makes a grand total of six (6) places the roof is leaking, and the roofer won't start until the weather improves. Ugh. Who wanted to live in an old house? (me). I'm glad we're going on holiday.

I'm off now to search out a Daily Telegraph - they are giving away free Beatrix Potter books this week to celebrate the opening of the film. I have in mind an afternoon in front of the telly (read 'Gone With the Wind') and my needle. And hoping it will stop raining.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Wow -- it looks good. I really like the block with the stitching radiating from the star, but I can see how it wouldn't be fun to stitch. That's half the battle . . . to enjoy it while you're working on it *s* Can't wait to see what you decide for the border.

Angie said...

I love your star/log cabin! What a wonderful Christmas quilt...and Libby's quilting suggestion was excellent on it. :D

Diana said...

I love the log cabin star and I think your ultimate choice for quilting looks really good. Make sure you show off the borders when you decide on what you want to do.