Monday, April 30

Today I shall be mostly...




plastering. That is, if I get the hang of it. So far it is not too messy and quite a lot of fun. Not sure we have the right kind of plaster though. The label on the pack says 'one coat' but it seems to be quite gritty and is very grey. I was expecting something altogether finer and orange in colour - more like plaster of paris (nothing to be scared of) and less cement-like (yuk). Discussion with DH to follow...

I tidied my desk. This is a major step forward in self-organisation. I framed some photos and cards, and painted up a couple of old picture frames to make them look a little smarter. It's not finished, but it is so nice to have a little space of my own again for thinking and dreaming, and I thought I would share it. I suppose, now I am no longer working I don't really need a desk. But it is nice. (Oh, and you might be able to spot that copy of Quilt Design Wizard - to be listed on ebay. I didn't really find it that useful...perhaps I should invest in the real thing?)

Encouraged by this, I set to work in the dining room. I've had a notion, ever since we came to live here, that this would not be a room for dining in; we're not in to formal dining at all, and there's plenty of other eating space with a dining kitchen, a breakfast room and a dining table in the garden room - and when it's the two of us we usually just eat in front of the TV anyway. The dining room had, in fact become a wasteland filled with all kinds of furniture and homeless junk. Not any more. I moved, I tidied, I reorganised, I binned, ...and now I have a corner to sew in! Well quite a lot of space actually! And the sun shines in from mid afternoon onwards.

I can't describe how great it is to have a place to sew permanently (much more work to be done before it is the perfect space, though). But just to sit and ponder the creative options. And how nice it is, if I have a spare ten minutes, to have everything at hand, in its own place so I can sit down and do something useful immediately (the moment is everything here!)

There are ominous clouds on the horizon, though. The sun is strong and we really need blackout blinds, for this room and the sitting room which faces the same way. This translates in my mind to the horror/joy of a trip to Ikea. Also, that little sewing machine is making a strange noise that I think does not bode well... However, I spent a couple of happy hours running up these 4 patches for the grandson of some neighbours, who has not been very well. Some coordinating sashing and binding, and backing is en route.

More recently I made a start on a new log cabin. Brown and cream is cosy, and not too adventurous, and some of these prints remind me a lot of the dresses I wore to church as a child.
Anyone fancy a quick look round my garden?


In the greenhouse, 'Tomgirl' has come into flower. You can't see it very well in the photo, but this geranium is a very beautiful deep and velvety red.



These red tulips are joyful, and catch my eye as I go in and out of the house. They just spill out through the edging stones of the bed they are planted in.


One of the last narcissi, in a shady spot.
I love the colours of cultivated anemones, the combination of blue and red and green is so refreshing - I saw some today on YankeeQuilter's blog. Unfortunately we have only blue ones just now. This is one of the colour combinations I think of at night before drifting off to sleep!

It wouldn't be spring without drumstick primulas - we bought these ones in Morrison's, and my mother has promised to give LittleSis some of my grandmother's white ones, to bring back from Ireland with her when she comes this week.
Wallflowers. Someone told me that they bloom 12months after sowing, so I'm making staggered sowings to check this out. Next time I buy seed, it will be just orange/red - the yellows looked washed out beside our daffodils.




'Marguerites' I think - at least that's what my mother-in-law calls them. One of the first early summer flowers.

Waiting...somewhat impatiently... (clematis)

Hawthorn, almost in flower.

I'm not sure what this plant is, but it grows in masses, appears to be perennial and self seeds everywhere - hopefully not the defining charcteristics of a weed!

In the vegetable garden, the peas I sowed right at the beginning of March are looking for something to grab onto now. DH constructed this with some left over chicken-wire. Lucky peas! No old pea sticks for you! I am sowing more peas every 10days now.

We are getting lots of broccoli these days, I think it was Pam who was asking about it. I'm a little confused about the broccoli/calbrese terminology, but I think that what we generally call 'broccoli' in this country is more correctly called 'calabrese'.







Purple-sprouting broccoli is much more of a delicacy. It is a cut-and-come-again crop - clever cutting can greatly increase the yield - and tastes much superior to calabrese - sweet and I think it is described as 'nutty'. Very yummy, raw in salads or very lightly cooked.


Well, it's been a long post. I must remember to blog more frequently, and maybe at less length!

I'm thinking I may well relinquish my Q4P ring membership; I'm not quite sure I like feeling under pressure to blog at regular intervals...although I understand why the request has been made. I think. Anyway, I am mulling it over.>



















17 comments:

Chrissie said...

Plastering! You are a star! While I don't mind painting I hate the preparation work that decorating involves:-) Really enjoyed the tours and the pics of your garden. I never tire of seeing beautiful flowers!

Pam said...

Thank you for the pictures of the purple sprouting brocolli. It really is purple. I will have to ask at Whole foods if they ever get any there.

Such lovely pictures of the flowers in the garden. The one thing I remember that is so nice about the highlands of Scotland - is how much later it is light at this time of year. We were there in April.

Enjoy your plastering!

YankeeQuilter said...

What wonderful tour of your garden! I just cooked up some purple brocolli last night! (quickly blanched and served with a bit of olive oil with toasted pinenuts...wonderful!)

I also took over our dining room for a quilting room. A much better use of space! Have fun with it.

Unknown said...

Well done on claiming your dining room to stitch in - the flowers are beautiful and surprisingly fer on for Scotland. My sister texted me last night, she is on holiday touring Scotland with her partner in his motor home - they've just gone over onto Orkney for a few nights - a long was removed from southern Somerset

Gina said...

Your mystery plant is a form of forget-me-not, and yes some people do see them as a weed as they will quite quickly take over the garden. I love them though and try and keep them restricted to one large patch in the border.
i don't envy you plastering. we've just finished the living/dining room and I'm still cleaning up the mess.

love and hugs gina xxx

Susan said...

I think that's about what our plaster was like when we remodeled our house. Sounds the same, looks the same. =)

I love your sewing space! Great idea. The flowers are absolutely beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Wendy said...

Loved the tour of your garden. I didn't know about the purple brocolli, must try that.

Jenni said...

Beautiful garden and dogs. Good on you for tackling the plastering.

Primrose Hill said...

Thanks for visiting!
Had a quick look through your blog, will have to come back for another visit, makes good reading. Would be good if you could make it along to the market tomorrow, it should be good!
Lisa :o)

Rose Marie said...

Lovely tour of your garden. The Marguerites are called "Bachelor Buttons" here in Canada.

How wonderful to take over the dining room for your own. If it's not needed, why have one? Now you will be able to show us lots of progress on quilting. :o)

UP said...

I loved the tour of your garden. I also have done a lot of home projects. One of the first was years ago when my 30 and 29 year old boys were 3 and 4. As I stood in the bath tiling the bath enclosure, they helped by throwing the tiles into the bath.

For years I had a garden. I was able to get so many veggies out of the small 30 foot by 30 foot spot. We would can what we couldn't eat during the summer and eat it during the winter.

Jane said...

The blue flower is anchusa - it is a wild form but that doesn't necessarily make it a weed! It is very pretty and my parents have it in their garden in East Lothian - they garden on sand and it hasn't taken over the border.
J
x

Diana said...

Thanks for the tour of your garden. Everything seems really well advanced for such a northern location.

It's great that you got yourself a sewing space, especially with that lovely afternoon sunshine. Enjoy!

kate said...

Thank you for the lovely tour of your thriving garden.

I think the blue flower is a Centaurea montana (mountain bleuet or cornflower) ... at least that is what it appears to be from the picture.

I imagine your Hawthorn is now in bloom. I love them!

And your plastering looks like a major job. How is it coming along?

kelley said...

I am so enjoying your blog...good luck with the organizng, it never sticks with me...wonderful photos...
you live in the one part of the world I've always wanted to visit...

Tazzie said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing a slice of your life with us. I admire your bravery plastering, that's something I'd be scared to do! I love the log cabin block, it's just my colours!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Jane Ann said...

I wish you would post more often too! I enjoy reading about you and your corner of the world. Good on you for the study and sewing spaces. Being the new resident of a dedicated sewing room, I well understand your pleasure in making one for yourself. Thank you for the tour of your home.