Wednesday, December 13


Between hand quilting the green and red quilt, grouting the tiles on the hall floor and decorating for Christmas, there hasn't been much time for new projects in this house. I found some buggy barn scraps to practice paper peicing with. This is The Eyes of March block from Quilters' Cache.


My Chocolat fabric for Little Sis's quilt arrived. I think there's more here than I will need.

Decorating for Christmas was a lot of fun. Since we have been living in limbo for the last two Christmases, and most of our stuff was in storage during that time, I have not seen most of our decorations for a long time. It was so good to take them out of their boxes again, and to go round the new house finding suitable spots for them to spend the holidays. Our lights seem to have been multiplying, too.

We booked a holiday for next month. A while ago DH and I made the decision that January is *the* time of the year for us to holiday. It's all a bit miserable in this country at this time of year - even more so now we are living so far north. Last January we went to Cyprus, and next month we will Cruise The Med. Cruising is a new thing for us, and I will need to plan my projects so I have some hand sewing to take with me.

Someone asked about haggis that I mentioned in a previous post. Haggis, eaten with neeps and tatties, is a traditional scottish delicacy. Tatties are potatoes, and neeps are turnips. In our house we usually have bashed neeps, that means they are mashed and we have them with lashings of butter and black pepper - yum! Haggis, in the olden days, was sheep offal mixed with oats and heavily spiced, enclosed in a sheep's stomach. To cook it you had to boil the whole thing a pan of water for several hours. These days I believe there are restrictions on the cuts of meat that can be included, and it usually comes wrapped in plastic which you can peel off and then microwave the haggis in less than 10 minutes. You can also get vegetarian haggis, full of lentils and beans and very tasty. These days I usually prefer the vegetarian one - here's a photo of one from a famous Edinburgh haggis maker.

2 comments:

Libby said...

Thanks for sharing the information on haggis. My knowledge extended only to the sheep intestine with lots of boiling. As with most things, sounds as if modern cooking methods and standards have only improved it *s*

Your block looks great -- fun to make?

Susan said...

I love that block from Quilters Cache. Aren't they just the greatest resource?

Haggis is something I never wanted to try, but maybe the vegetarian ones. =)